Key drivers for growth in lithium use for lithium ion batteries
- The lithium ion battery has captured nearly 100% of the portable computer and communications market and gaining share in the consumer electronics market such as power tools.
- The Tesla/Panasonic lithium ion battery ‘gigafactory’ under construction in Nevada USA will be the world’s largest and most advanced battery factory with forecasts estimating it will increase demand by 9-25,000 tpa LCE. The factory will be completed in 2017 and will produce up-to 500,000 batteries per annum by 2020.
- Car manufacturers such as Volkswagen and Toyota have introduced in 2015 vehicles using lithium ion batteries.
- China is a growing market for lithium ion batteries with the support of government initiatives such as subsidies of ~$10k for purchases of electronic vehicles.
- Roskill anticipates that growth in heavy duty storage would increase from 80MWh in 2012 to 20GWh in 2017.
World Market – rechargeable lithium batteries by end-use
LCE in Batteries
|Smart phone||Laptop||Tablet||Toyota Prius||Tesla Roadster||London Bus|